Thanks again Greg. While I digest the Bessel implementation, I'm going to try the 30904 attenuation circuit by Altec. I've experimented with it earlier and had good results.
The MiniDSP has adjustable phase, so, yes, I could play with that too.
To accurately reproduce a square wave, which is required to accurately reproduce music, etc., it must be in time, phase and have a flat frequency/impedance response. Pretty tough to do over a wide BW.
Normally, we want at least an octave of flat BW on either side of a 2nd order XO point, so that's your first 'hurdle' to XO nirvana, ergo the simple answer is yes..............
GM
- - - Updated - - -
Yes, though understand that this introduces [excessive] delay with increasing 'gap'.
That said, it can be used to align a compression horn to a point source [cone/dome driver] since it takes the former an extra 90 deg [1st order] delay to 'gather up its skirts' to move relative to the horn and why a 3/2 XO is often used as well as 'steer' the HF:
Linkwitz-Riley Crossovers: A Primer
A Bessel Filter Crossover, and Its Relation to Others
Does the DSP have adjustable phase to blend them together?
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Thanks again Greg. While I digest the Bessel implementation, I'm going to try the 30904 attenuation circuit by Altec. I've experimented with it earlier and had good results.
The MiniDSP has adjustable phase, so, yes, I could play with that too.
Last edited by jocelys1; November 2nd, 2016 at 04:37 AM.

This is what I've ended up with going active. Equalization on the LF and reversed polarity on the MF . Xovers are 2nd order LR at 200 & 1600.
Bookmarks